I Still Choked A Bitch Once...

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Unanswers

Andy works at GM.

I think that may say a lot to some of you and very little to some of you. He has enough seniority (13 years) to hold a job for now. GM has announced that they will close the plant here by 2010. At that point, we don't know what the hell we're going to do. Well, yeah we do.

We'll have to take a transfer if and when one is offered to us. We'll move to Missouri, Kentucky, or some other state. Probably not Detroit, Flint, or Fort Wayne, though. Andy would prefer to not work at a plant that you have to go through metal detectors on your way in, and I don't blame him one bit. It just leaves so much in the air for now. My job, I'd better not get too attached, since I don't know when I'll have to go. Or where. Or how much notice we'll have. It's so stressful.

The main thing is that he's worked 13 years so he'll only have to work 17 more. The pension offered to him at age 49 is better than what some people make while working! (Assuming it'll still be around.)

I had been thinking about going back to school, but I'm afraid to start to only have to leave. And if we move, I'd have to wait a while for school, since I can't afford to pay out of state tuition.

So many questions. Any questions that remain, I don't have answers for. Nobody does. GM is closing in this area, and the economic windfall is going to be big. It's a scary time for Southern Wisconsin, and it almost makes me glad I'll be leaving.

Almost.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

  • it's the same here. They are downsizing the plant in Oshawa, and a few other spots in Ontario. A lot of people are also seeing cut backs, because a lot of plants aren't producing the trucks and suvs anymore, with the cost of gas, no one is buying.

    things will work out the way they are meant to hun. they always do. you just have to trust that it's going to work out, and do what ya gotta do.

    and enjoy the ride..

    By Blogger KBear, at 8:18 PM  

  • I'd be freaking out if I were in your situation. I can't imagine having to uproot myself and leave, not knowing what the future will hold. Even though I've "said" I wanted to move in the past, it never got close so I never had to get scared.
    Good luck...I too hope you don't end up in Detroit. They have a sucky football team! :o)

    By Blogger Kari, at 7:12 AM  

  • No Detroit? So, you're saying we can't hang out?

    Dammit.

    By Blogger Joe C, at 7:22 AM  

  • I know Flint and Detroit seem scary, but trust me, the suburbs are not much dangerous than Milwaukee.

    It would be very nice if you moved here. The Hamtramck plant is going to produce the Chevy Volt, eh? Wouldn't it be cool to build something that will break the oil monopoly?

    I can't think of one news story involving violence at the auto plants here. Not one.

    I suppose if I googled, I would come up with a few, but...

    By Blogger I'm Scooter, but I might be a troll., at 8:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home